We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Farron warns of deadly carbon monoxide risk

January 26, 2010 12:00 AM

MP Tim Farron is urging local residents to protect themselves against the threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning after new research revealed that eight in ten households in Cumbria do not have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour taste and smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm.

Mr Farron is supporting the 'Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed!' campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.

Commenting, Mr Farron said:

'It is essential that people in South Lakeland are aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and I would everyone to make sure that they have an alarm.

'Every winter, many people are killed or injured by Carbon Monoxide as a result of faulty fuel-burning appliances. At around £15 an alarm is a cheap and easy way to protect your family.'

Christine McGourty, Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign spokesperson, added:

"We regularly hear about members of the general public whose lives have been saved by a Carbon Monoxide alarm - it's the only way to detect this killer.

"You can buy an alarm at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. A number of retailers will also be offering special discounts in support of our campaign this January and we're delighted that Tim Farron has added his weight to the campaign."