We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Farron calls for guaranteed minimum speeds not targets for rural broadband in Cumbria

November 22, 2011 12:26 PM

 (Tim broadband photo)South Lakes MP Tim Farron has today welcomed the county council's broadband document 'Connecting Cumbria' but has called on the council to lay down concrete minimum speeds and not just targets.

The council has a target of 90% of properties on 25Mbps by 2015. The other 10% has a target of 2Mbps. These speeds are 'headline' figures, or targets, and this is something that OFCOM has previously noted concerns about in relation to companies and their broadband offers.

In comparison toCumbria, Norwegian households have access to at least 50Mbps broadband.

Tim was a key member of the team that helped secure the £23.8 million from BDUK and the Department of Culture, Media and Sport for the Cumbrian broadband project.

Tim commented: "I am keen to work with the county council to make the broadband project a success but we need to know what will be expected for communities like Garsdale, Longsleddale or the Langdales. Communities such as these will be very nervous about having target figures when what they need is a guaranteed minimum speed. Even as a target, 2Mbps is wholly inadequate and un-ambitious and will not give those communities a future proof broadband connection. Rural Cumbria must not be left behind."