We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Superfast broadband must be for all - Farron

January 30, 2014 11:57 AM

This morning South Lakes MP Tim Farron called on Ministers to ensure superfast broadband was delivered to everyone in Cumbria.

At Culture, Media & Sport Questions in the House of Commons, Tim welcomed that the news that much of Cumbria will be getting superfast broadband, but highlighted the fact that some communities and businesses might lose out. He said: "93% of Cumbria getting super-fast broadband next year is great news, but the remaining 7% are only getting 2mgs download and 0.2 mega upload and this is awful for rural businesses."

Tim is keeping up the pressure in his long running campaign to force the council and government to make sure as much of our area as possible gets super-fast broadband. He recently also called on Cumbria County Council to bid for part of a new £10m pot, which aims to pilot alternative broadband technologies to help hook up the most remote areas to broadband.

Commenting after asking his question in the chamber, Tim said: "Cumbria's residents and businesses need superfast broadband. Broadband is not just about what it offers to individuals in their home, but the value it can bring to teaching in schools, or the way in which it can help the local pub or village shop remain open and viable. This is vital for businesses in our area and I will keep doing all I can to fight for Cumbria to get a full and comprehensive rollout."