We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Report shows how South Lakes is being let down over flooding

November 2, 2016 12:30 PM

This morning a report issued by a committee of MPs has slammed the government's flood plans, and called for a "radical alternative" including a new floods tsar. South Lakes MP Tim Farron says the report just highlights how the Conservative Government is continuing to let down the local community following last winter's devastating floods.

Tim said: "That a group of MPs think we need to create a flood tsar is a damning indictment on the government. The idea that one person is needed to knock heads together already exists in my book; we usually call them the Prime Minister; and while they were quick to make promises last year, we've seen little in the way of action.

"Plans in the report to 'slow the flow' are welcome, but the Kent catchment doesn't have many places to store any quantity of water. What we actually need is the government to get on with building the flood defences they have been promising for the last five years. Local residents still live in fear each time it rains, yet the government drags its feet building vital flood defences."