Lib Dems announce £900K to give children in Cumbria a brighter future
Tim Farron will today announce Liberal Democrat plans to triple the early years pupil premium, meaning almost £900K per year would be spent to give children in Cumbria a brighter future.
Nine hundred and ninety five 3-4 year-olds in Cumbria would benefit from Liberal Democrat plans to triple funding for the early years pupil premium, which gives extra cash to nurseries, preschools and school receptions when they take on children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The cash would triple the funding to £1,000 per pupil per year - up from £302 in 2015-16.
This will increase the allocation for local authorities in Cumbria from around £287K to £860K, and will pay for every disadvantaged child who benefits to receive 570 hours of state-funded early education.
It forms part of a series of policies the Liberal Democrats are announcing ahead of launching their manifesto, with a focus on giving children and young people a brighter future.
- Helping people buy their first home for the same cost as renting, with a new model of 'Rent to Own' homes
- Restoring housing benefit for young people
- Creating a discounted bus pass for 16-21 year olds, giving a 66% discount
- Introducing votes at 16 for elections and referendums across the UK
As well as:
- Investing almost £7bn in our schools and colleges
- Doubling the number of businesses that take apprenticeships
- Tripling the early years pupil premium
- Extending free school meals to all primary school students
Tim said: "I want to see a society where every child is given a fair chance in life, regardless of their background.
"The Lib Dems will give children in Cumbria a brighter future, by investing in those from more deprived backgrounds to give them the best possible chance in life.
"This forms part of a package to build a fairer Britain and ensure no child or young person is left behind.
"The Liberal Democrats will provide a strong opposition to this Conservative government and stand up against cuts to local schools and hospitals.
"A vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote for a brighter future for young people across Cumbria."