South Lakes MP Tim Farron has welcomed South Lakeland District Council's new parking proposals for car parks in Kendal.
At a council meeting today, Liberal Democrat councillors agreed the following changes in addition to the £1-a-day offer at the Westmorland Shopping Centre which had already been announced:
- People will be able to leave their cars in the Westmorland Shopping Centre until 9pm during the week
- South Lakeland House Car Park will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- On a Sunday, South Lakeland House Car Park will be just 20p per hour up to a maximum of £1 for over 4 hours
- South Lakeland House Car Park will free to park on overnight between 5:30pm and 8:30am, aimed at people living in the town centre
- Visitor parking on South Lakeland House Car Park will be removed which will increase the number of spaces available for the public
- An early bird offer of £1 a day parking on Blackhall Road before 7am for those who arrive in town before the shopping centre opens
- Sandes Avenue Car Park will be reserved for market traders on Wednesdays and Saturdays
- On other days, Sandes Avenue Car Park will be just 20p per hour up to a maximum of £1 a day
The council's intent is for all of these measures to be up and running on Monday (the 18th).
Commenting on the new proposals, Tim said: "I'm pleased to see the council introducing a range of positive new parking proposals which will benefit everyone in the town from local residents to market traders.
"These measures will give hundreds of motorists much cheaper options than they currently have now and shows that the council are listening to the needs of local people."
Printed (hosted) by Prater Raines Ltd, 98 Sandgate High Street, Folkestone CT20 3BY
Published and promoted by P Trollope on behalf of T Farron and the Liberal Democrats, all at Yard 2, Stricklandgate, Kendal
The views expressed are those of the publisher, not of the service provider.
Website designed and developed by Prater Raines Ltd