We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Government reveal nearly 100 businesses around Windermere lake flooded in 2015 but still refuse to provide flood defences

September 18, 2018 2:35 PM

Bowness bay flooded back in 2009South Lakes MP Tim Farron has accused the Government of betraying local people by rejecting flood defence plans for Windermere lake after new figures showed that almost 100 businesses were flooded back in 2015.

In answer to a Written Parliamentary Question from Tim, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said that 94 businesses around the lake had been flooded two years ago.

Despite this, earlier this year the Government rejected flood relief schemes that had been proposed for the lake by the Environment Agency as they didn't meet their 'cost/benefit criteria'.

Tim said: "These figures prove that the Government have clearly failed to consider the broader economic impact that failure to provide flood defences will have on tourism and businesses in the area.

"It's frankly shocking that after the lives of hundreds of workers were so badly affected by Storm Desmond, the Government's response is to turn their back on the people of Windermere.

"The Government are betraying local people - they promised the earth back in 2015 when the cameras were here, but now they're refusing to cough up the cash that local businesses need to feel confident that they won't have to relive the nightmare of 2015 again."